Email, Print, send to Twitter, send to Facebook, and more


How to Adopt an Animal

All of our adoptable animals are available for viewing on our website. We strongly encourage those interested in adopting a pet to come in, get to know the animals, experience their personalities, and open yourself to unexpected opportunities.  Our trained staff will work with you to determine what pet is best for you and your lifestyle.

Adoption hours : Monday-Friday, 12-4:30 p.m.

Pet Adoption Applicants must be 18 or older.

How to Reclaim Your Pet

Dog Paw in Human Hand

To reclaim an animal in custody of Cabarrus County Animal Control you must provide:

  1. A valid ID
  2. Payment for all fines and fees
  3. Proof of rabies vaccination

Acceptable payment methods include: cash, credit card and local personal checks.

Dog Fines and Fees:

Fines for violation of the leash law in section 10-6 of the Animal Control Ordinances, the fines are:

  • 1st offense - $50
  • 2nd offense - $150
  • 3rd offense - $250

Cat Fines and Fees:

Animal Complaints

For animal complaints call


Become an Approved Rescue

Rescue Hours
M-F from 1–5 pm

We welcome rescuers to the Cabarrus County Shelter. Looking forward to working with many rescue groups and excited about saving the lives of our little furry friends!

Rabies Clinic

Monthly rabies clinics are offered by Carolina Value Mobile Pet Care. View the vaccine clinic schedule and prices or call 704-288-8620.

Surrendering An Animal

Residents of Cabarrus County may surrender animals on Monday and Tuesday, ONLY, from 12 - 4:30 pm. Due to limited space, owner surrenders are by appointment only.

You will need to provide a current NC driver’s license showing a Cabarrus County address or another form of picture ID and one of the following as proof of residency:

  • Current utility bill
  • Current insurance registration
  • Current pay stub
  • Current lease/rental agreement


You must provide proof of residency and a permit from NC State Department of Wildlife to borrow a trap from Animal Control.

Proof of Residency
A valid NC license or Picture ID and one of the following:

  • current utility bill
  • current insurance registration
  • current pay stub​
  • current lease/rental agreement

NC State Wildlife Department
Phone: 1-800-662-7137
Website :

Back to Top